The earth is perhaps the only planet in this vast universe which is inhabited by life forms living in supporting environment. A thin cover of water and air known as the biosphere encasing the earth sustains life. The absence of biosphere would make the earth a lifeless planet like many other planets in the universe.
Our natural environment and surroundings provide us with everything that we ever need. We get air, water, food, and everything else from the environment.
We have made the ecology suffer by the thoughtlessness of our actions. We have polluted the encasing of the earth, namely the water and the air far beyond its capacity to cleanse itself. Urgent measures are needed to check further degradation of the environment or a day will come when the environment around us will collapse to make survival a near impossibility. Nature has already started warning us in the form of unexpected disasters and diseases. It will take a foolish person to ignore these warnings. The motto of the day is to improve our ecology or perish in the absence of it.
With global warming and fluctuating energy costs, many of us struggle with how to go green and the cost that can be associated with it. There are many low cost and easy ways to both save the environment and save money at the same time.
The natural world around us needs water just as much as we do; so we cannot save the environment without saving our water supply first. Conserving water starts with looking at it as a limited resources and consuming it with that in mind. We also make choices about how much water we use in our daily lives; for example, taking shorter showers or not running the water while we are washing utensils. Choosing to conserve water can have a significant impact on the overall goal of saving the environment.
We can also make simple changes, like shopping with reusable bags and keeping food and other items in reusable containers, rather than defaulting to plastic bags and disposable containers. And recycling obviously refers to buying recycled products and sorting waste into the appropriate categories such as aluminium cans, glass, plastic, paper and cardboard. If you can’t reduce your consumption or find a way to reuse a product, recycling is a better choice than simply throwing something into the trash.
Next, we can also save the environment by planting trees, which is a favourite Earth Day activity. Trees play a critical role in keeping our air clean, both by releasing oxygen into the air and by trapping carbon. The more trees we have, the better our air quality is, and that’s why planting trees is an excellent step to take toward saving the environment. While you’re at it, plant a tree in a spot that will give your house shade, as that will help reduce your need to crank up your air conditioning.
It is also important to take a stand against deforestation. Losing the rainforest means that we are losing millions of trees that would otherwise be cleaning the air for us. Protesting deforestation by refusing to buy products that are created at the expense of the world’s forests can help slow and even halt deforestation.
Environmental pollution is one of the key problems facing our modern world. Though there have been massive technological advances in these recent days, these too have come with much negative effects to the environment. By doing a simple thing like planting a tree, we shall be making the world a better place and for sure we shall always live to be proud of our achievement.
Why should we save environment?
- Global warming is a serious environmental issue. The continuous emission of carbon dioxide by thermal power generating units is the leading cause for the surge in greenhouse gases.
- Natural resources are limited. If the natural resources such as oil, coal, etc. are used, one day will come when the world may fall short of these resources.
- High-level of environmental pollution is detrimental for human and animal health.
- Forests are fast depleting. It may cause soil erosion and drought situation.
- Excessive use of pesticides and contamination of soil have negatively affected soil output. These fruits and vegetables are not very healthy for human health.
How to save the environment?
- We should save drinking water. Water is a precious component of our environment. It should never be wasted.
- We should never pollute water. Efforts should be made in making significant reduction in both domestic and industrial disposal in water bodies.
- As far as practicable, the waste products should be recycled to make new items. The domestic and industrial garbage should be segregated as recyclable and non-recyclable before being dumped.
- There should be a zero tolerance policy towards deforestation. Each one of us can contribute towards saving the environment by planting just one tree every month.
- We can make donations to NGOs that are engaged in planting trees, or in any way working towards saving the environment.
- Safer environmental friendly car and vehicles should be used. For short distances, people should be encouraged to use bicycles in place of motor based vehicles.
- The use of environment unfriendly materials such as plastic should be discouraged.
(The views expressed by the author in the article are his/her own.)