The Centre on Monday requested the Supreme Court not to cancel all coal block allocations that took place between 1993 and 2010. Attorney General Mukul Rohatgi said that the power situation in the country is very critical and at least 46 blocks should be spared that are ready to commence production.
The A-G also told the Supreme Court that if these 218 coal blocks are cancelled, then the government will have to go for an immediate auction.
The Supreme Court will on Monday decide upon the cancellation of the 218 coal blocks that were allocated by the screening committee between 1993 and 2010, a move which it has termed illegal.
In a decision taken last week, the apex court had ruled the 218 coal blocks that were allocated between 1993 and 2010 by the screening committee were illegal as they were not fair and transparent and were arbitrary.
A bench headed by Chief Justice RM Lodha also held that “no State Government or public sector undertakings of the State Governments are eligible for mining coal for commercial use”.
The court suggested setting up of a committee headed by a retired apex court judge to examine what should be done for the re-allocation of these coal blocks.
The apex court also said that no objective criteria were followed by the screening committee in the allocation of the coal blocks.