In a significant medical breakthrough and a first in the country, a rare surgery on foetus was performed inside a pregnant woman’s womb by doctors at a hospital in Hyderabad.
Shirisha (25), a science teacher from Ranga Reddy district of Telangana, had come to Care Hospital in Hyderabad wherein the doctors detected defect in the heart of her unborn baby in the 26th week of pregnancy.
After studying the case thoroughly, the doctors led by Paediatric department head Dr Koneti Nageshwara Rao along with his team performed the path-breaking surgery on the foetus in the 27th week of Shirisha’s pregnancy.
The woman is due for delivery in December last week or January first week.
The first-of-its-kind surgery was carried out by 12 specialists.
According to Dr Nageswara Rao, the procedure was successfully completed, but still only 60 per cent of the work has been done while the rest 40 per cent will be completed after the baby is born.