Friday, September 24, 2021
HomeNationMinor dies in hospital after being given ‘nitrous oxide’ instead of oxygen

Minor dies in hospital after being given ‘nitrous oxide’ instead of oxygen

An eight-year-old boy died, while another is critical at Maharaja Yeshwantrao hospital after they were mistakenly administered nitrous oxide, a widely used anaesthetic agent, instead of oxygen, a police officer said on Sunday. The operation theatre has been sealed and an FIR registered, he added.

Minor dies-AV

“Ayush died during Hernia surgery on May 27, while Rajveer (1) turned critical while being operated for a deformity on May 28, in the hospital’s recently inaugurated operation theatre,” Maharaja Yeshwantrao (MY) Hospital acting Superintendent Dr Sumit Shukla on Sunday said.

Rajveer is being treated at the hospital’s paediatric ICU ward and his condition is critical, he said.

As per investigation, the pipeline that was supposed to supply oxygen to patients was carrying nitrous oxide, he said.

The operation theatre, which was inaugurated on May 24, has been sealed, he said.

A technician from a private company, Rajendra Choudhary, who was responsible for fitting the gas supply pipeline, has been booked for manslaughter, he said.

Activist Chinmay Mishra of Swasthya Adhikar Manch, an NGO, said it was baffling that the hospital management lodged FIR against Chaudhary, and not against the doctor and other staffers of the hospital, and demanded immediate suspension of the facility’s Superintendent.

Most Popular

- Advertisment -[the_ad id="220709"]