Thursday, June 24, 2021
HomeWorldMore explosives defused at Wagah border

More explosives defused at Wagah border

Wagah-borderIntelligence authorities in Pakistan managed to defuse more bombs near Wagah border crossing after conducting a search operation in the area on Monday.

According to a report in the Dawn, the intelligence agencies were informed about a “suspicion person” still present in the attack area after which they carried out a search operation, leading to recovery of many more suicide vests and explosives that were defused by the bomb squad men.

The possibility of more suspicion persons being present at the attack site was enhanced by a preliminary investigation report submitted to the Inspector General Police Punjab, Mushtaq Ahmed Sukhera, that suggested that the suicide-bomber, believed to be in his early 20s, had been staying in the Wagah border area since many days.

An investigation has begun in the attack and the remains of the suicide bomber have been collected and sent forensic analysis.

Meanwhile the death toll from the blast rose to 61 on Monday and officials arrested some 20 suspects from the Wagah border area.

In the aftermath of a deadly suicide attack that killed dozens, the spectacular flag-lowering ceremony that takes place at Wagah border crossing between India and Pakistan every evening, has been postponed for three days until Thursday, officials said.

In the flag-lowering ceremony both Indian and Pakistani soldiers participate, parading close to each other and present a grand military spectacle which attracts scores of spectators every evening before sunset.

Also known as the “beating retreat” ceremony, it has been taking place for last 55 years with members of Pakistan’s Rangers and India’s Border Security Force marching in goose step and lowering their countries’ flags.

The suspension of the ceremony for three days comes after dozens were killed and more than hundred were injured when a suicide bomber detonated himself at a checkpoint near Wagah border crossing just after the spectators were returning back after watching the ceremony, reports quoted Inspector General Mushtaq Ahmad Sukhera of the Punjab police.

Sukhera said that it was difficult to check the suicide bomber despite high security arrangements in place for Muharram.

“The Rangers had made stringent security measures but it was difficult to check suicide bomber,” said Sukhera.

“It appears that he (the bomber) is a young man of 20-25 years. At least 15 to 20 kilogramme explosives have been used in the blast, showing some of the explosives was in his suicide jacket and remaining he might have carried.”

Most Popular

- Advertisment -