Ministry of External Affairs spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin on Sunday said that there was no confirmation whether people found in the shipping container were Indians. The remarks came in the backdrop of UK media reports suggesting that 35 illegal migrants trespassing into the United Kingdom via waterways in the container could be from India.
Akbaruddin said, “We have not got any confirmation that the people found in the container are Indians. We are in touch with our mission in UK. What we are getting to hear is that their nationalities have not been determined.”
One among the 35 people was found dead in shipping container at Tilbury Docks, Essex on Saturday morning.
The container arrived on a ship from the Belgian port of Zebrugge and was being unloaded by the Port of Tilbury authorities.
“Thirty-one people, including adults and children of both genders, were found inside,” said an Essex Police spokesman.
“One man has sadly died and the others have significant health problems. They are being treated by ambulance crews and are being taken to local hospitals.”
Many of the people in the container were suffering from dehydration.
The East of England Ambulance service confirmed a hazardous area response team had been sent, including seven ambulances.
“Our initial priority is to assess the level and nature of any injuries, and ensure that those people in most need are treated first and taken to hospital,” a statement said.