Apparently under continued pressure from India, the authorities in Pakistan have extended the house arrest of 2008 Mumbai terror attacks accused Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi by one month, reports said Monday.
Lakhvi’s house arrest case was heard in Islamabad High Court (IHC) by Judge Justice Noor-ul-Haq Qureshi today and his detention was extended for further 30 days by the local administration, ARY News reported.
During the hearing, Lakhvi’s lawyer Raja Rizwan Abbasi said that the fresh extension came despite the fact that it had already been challenged in the court, adding that his client will file a new petition challenging the administration’s decision.
Next hearing of Lakhvi’s case will take place on 26th January.
The fresh detention order extension comes just a couple of days after his detention was extended for ten days last week.
Lakhvi was detained for a month on December 18 under the Maintenance of Public Order (MPO) in Adiala jail, after he was granted bail by an Anti-terrorism Court (ATC).
Hence on January 18, his earlier detention order was to expire. However, with January 18 being a Sunday (holiday), the authorities extended his confinement period till January 27.
According to a report in the Express Tribune, the key motive behind keeping Lakhvi behind bars is to prevent him from attending any public meeting and potentially regrouping.
The report added that the former LeT commander is being kept under detention, following pressure exerted by the Indian government,
Lakhvi is accused of planning, financing and executing Mumbai terror attacks in 2008.
While Jamat-ud-Dawa chief Hafiz Saeed masterminded the Mumbai terror attack, it was Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi, who was the handler of all ten gunmen who came ashore Mumbai that fateful night and was also in touch with them throughout the massacre.