A petition in the Bombay High Court seeking an inquiry against former Maharashtra minister Vijaykumar Gavit and his family in a disproportionate assets case may soon be withdrawn with Anti-Corruption Bureau saying that there is no evidence.
Petitioner Vishnu Mhasle has written a letter to the ACB saying that he would not like to pursue the matter as the agency has said it could not find any material against Gavit and his family.
This was communicated by Mhasle’s lawyer Uday Warunjikar to the HC bench headed by Justice Naresh Patil. The court posted the matter after two weeks for further hearing.
The Director General ACB has said in a report before the court that there is no substance in the allegations against Gavit and the state government too has concurred with the finding.
At an earlier hearing, ACB had said that after a `discreet’ inquiry into the assets of Gavit and his family, it found material against them and submitted a proposal to the state on March 5 seeking permission for an `open’ inquiry.
Subsequently, the Home Ministry gave a nod to the proposal.
ACB had also said that even before the PIL was filed, it had received several complaints against Gavit family during 2009 to 2012.
Gavit, an NCP minister in Congress-NCP government, was sacked from cabinet after his daughter Heena accepted Lok Sabha election ticket from BJP last year.