Monday, August 2, 2021
HomeNationArmy orders probe after lecturer dies in custody in Kashmir, 18 others...

Army orders probe after lecturer dies in custody in Kashmir, 18 others injured in clashes

A 30 year old lecturer was killed in custody and 18 others were injured in clashes between security forces and protesters who were opposing a search operation in Khrew area of Pulwama district in Kashmir where curfew and restrictions remained in force for the 41st day on Thursday.

Protest in Srinagar
The army ordered a probe into the death of a college lecturer Shabir Ahmad Mangoo who was allegedly beaten to death in the force’s custody after being picked up from his home in south Kashmir’s Pampore.

Residents of Shar village alleged the army barged into their homes on Wednesday night around and arrested 28 people.

“He (Shabir) was brought dead to hospital,” Block Medical Officer (BMO) Pampore, Dr. Saba said. “He was brought to hospital by police and he had external injuries on face and chest”. Dr Saba said that Shabir’s body was brought to hospital around 5.30 in the morning and was then taken back by the police.

Security forces came back early Thursday morning around 1am and returned the body of 30-year-old Shabir Ahmad Mangoo, who was declared dead when rushed to the hospital, locals said.

“The incident is regrettable. The army will investigate the matter,” said lieutenant general SK Dua.

Villagers said that a large number of youth were injured when the security forces started beating them. Some of the critically injured were shifted to Srinagar for treatment.

Residents alleged that Mangoo’s body bore torture marks and was apparently beaten to death after he was detained following nocturnal protests in the village.

However, the allegation could not be verified independently as officials in a hospital refused to comment. They said the autopsy report was still awaited.

Schools, colleges and private offices remained closed in Srinagar on Thursday, 41 days after curfew was first imposed. Mobile internet and telephone services remain suspended across Kashmir valley, though broadband services were restored on Thursday morning.

Over 66 people have been killed and at least 5000 injured in violent protests in Kashmir after the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen terrorist Burhan Wani on July 8.

Most Popular

- Advertisment -