A day after scrapping the Mumbai Development Plan 2034, Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis on Wednesday said an inquiry will be conducted to ascertain whether the errors that had crept in the draft were intentional or not.
The decision to shelve the Development Plan (DP) 2034 was taken by the state Cabinet on Tuesday after which the Chief Minister directed the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (MCGM), also known as BMC, to prepare a fresh plan within four months.
“We have received the recommendations of the committee on the plan and accordingly we have taken the decision. I have now asked Chief Secretary Swadheen Kshtriya to find out whether there were any intentional errors committed during the preparation of the draft plan,” Fadnavis told reporters on the sidelines of an event in Mumbai.
Earlier, the government had set up a three-member committee headed by Kshtriya to examine flaws in the controversial plan. He said the committee has identified areas where blatant errors had been committed, especially with regard to open space, and therefore, it is necessary to ascertain whether there were any errors made intentionally.
Meanwhile, BJP’s ally in the state, Shiv Sena has also demanded a probe into the matter and action against those found guilty in preparation of the flawed DP.
“The plan was not prepared by the BMC. For us BMC means the ‘House’ comprising the Mayor and 227 corporators and not the administration, which has prepared the draft of the DP. Therefore, BMC cannot be held responsible for this blunder,” senior Shiv Sena leader and state Industries Minister Subhash Desai said.
He said the Municipal Commissioner, Additional Commissioner, the consultants appointed by them and other officials who were involved in preparing the DP are not ‘BMC’, hence, a probe into the matter should be carried and those found guilty should be penalised.