Two lawyers from the Bombay High Court Monday alleged the Navi Mumbai Municipal Corporation (NMMC) has been illegally granting work orders to a tainted private contracting firm, which they claimed was responsible for causing the death of an 11-year-old boy in 2018 by negligence.
The lawyers, Mayuri Patil and Vallari Jathar, have written a letter to the NMMC Commissioner requesting him to look into a “brewing scam” into the civic body.
In May last year, 11-year-old Saurabh Chaudhary died and his friend sustained injuries when an iron gate of an under-construction civic school, located in sector 11 of the Koparkhairane area in the satellite town of Mumbai, fell on them.
Addressing a press conference, Patil and Jathar claimed that an internal enquiry conducted by the NMCC last year had fixed the responsibility of the incident on the private contracting company that had constructed the civic school gate.
“Yet, an FIR against the accused is yet to be registered, and the NMCC continues to award work contracts for new projects to the said firm,” the lawyers said quoting their letter.
They have urged the NMCC Commissioner to take appropriate action to ensure that such accidents do not recur.