A massive fire broke out on Sunday evening during a cultural programme at Make In India week event in Mumbai. The fire broke out below the stage during the programme.
Several VIPS were present at the event. Maharashtra chief minister Devendra Fadnavis and governor who were present during the programme were quickly moved out of the area.
The area has been evacuated and an operation is under way to douse the flame. According to eyewitnesses, the fire was caused by fire crackers.
“The fire was uncontrollable, luckily people have been evacuated. The authorities worked very quickly. It was unfortunate, but everybody got out safe including VVIPs, 20,000 to 25,000 people were there. Suddenly the fire broke out. Luckily, the fire exits were clearly defined,” said Poonam Mahajan.
“I was there at the event because Mr Bachchan was reciting my poem. As soon as the recital got over, I left the venue and another event started and suddenly the fire broke out. I was out looking for my car when this happened, hope everyone is safe,” said Prasoon Joshi.
“I was waiting in my make-up van. My performance was in an hour. Then my staff told me that there is a fire. So, I stepped out to see. And sure enough the stage was on fire. And it’s so windy the fire spread at an alarming speed,” said actor Amir Khan.