The release of Zaki-ur Rehman Lakhvi, the mastermind of 2008 Mumbai terror attacks, by the Lahore High Court “exposes the futile effort of Pakistan in showing that it was serious about curbing terrorism,” special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam said on Thursday.
When criminal conspiracy behind the attacks had been hatched on Pakistan’s soil, why the intelligence agency of that country did not collect and produce evidence, asked Nikam, who was the prosecutor in the trial of Ajmal Kasab, the lone Pakistani terrorist captured alive during the attacks, before the Mumbai court.
Why Pakistan was seeking evidence from India when Lakhvi had hatched the conspiracy in Pakistan as revealed by Kasab in his testimony before the Indian court, he said.
“This blame-game by Pakistan shows its double standard in respect of the terrorists who launch attacks from that country and also from inside India,” Nikam said.
The Indian government had provided sufficient material evidence to Pakistan about terrorist acts committed by Kasab and nine others who caused mayhem in Mumbai during November 26-28, 2008, claiming many lives, Nikam said.
The Lahore High Court today suspended the detention of 55-year-old Lakhvi under Maintenance of Public Order after the Pakistan government failed to present sensitive records against him in the court.
Nikam noted that a judicial commission from Pakistan had visited Mumbai and Lakhvi’s lawyer had cross-examined the Mumbai magistrate who had recorded Kasab’s confession. The lawyer also grilled the investigation officer.