Monday, September 27, 2021
HomeCity NewsMarine Drive Walkway to be overshadowed by Coastal road promenade

Marine Drive Walkway to be overshadowed by Coastal road promenade

The 29.2 km-long coastal road project here will also give rise to the city’s longest promenade, overtaking the iconic walkway at Marine Drive in south Mumbai. The proposed promenade which is a part of the road is set to be built along the coast of the city which will be 6.4 km long, stretching from Worli to Priyadarshini Park via Haji Ali in South Mumbai, a senior civic official has said.

So far, Marine Drive, which is around 3.4 km-long, is the longest promenade in Mumbai. However, the promenade along the coastal road will be almost double its length that makes it the longest public walkway in the city, the official said on Wednesday. He further added that the new promenade will be 20-metre wide and will have gardens, playgrounds, cycle tracks, open auditoriums, toilets and seating arrangements for senior citizens. It will also have three underground parking spaces to accommodate around 1,625 vehicles as well.

The walkway will come up on around 96.87 lakh sqft area of the reclaimed land. Of this, 22 per cent area will be used for the construction of the coastal road whereas the remaining 78 per cent of the land will be used for setting up public amenities, he said.

Once completed, the eight-lane 29.2 km-long coastal road will start from Princess Street Flyover in Marine Lines and run up to suburban Kandivali. The stretch will have tunnels, bridges, interchanges, pedestrian underpasses and foot over-bridges along the route.

Most Popular

- Advertisment -[the_ad id="220709"]