NCP chief Sharad Pawar has written a letter to Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis seeking withdrawal of serious charges slapped on some people during a Maratha quota protest last year in Kalamboli-Kamothe area of neighbouring Navi Mumbai after conducting a proper enquiry.
Police had fired in air after protesters indulged in arson and pelted stones during the quota stir last July in the area along the Sion-Panvel highway in Raigad district.
The letter dated December 29 was written after Pawar visited the area in Panvel taluka. He tweeted about the letter on Wednesday (January 2).
Pawar stated that he was given a memorandum during his visit to Kalamboli-Kamothe stating that innocent and well-educated people were booked by police under section 307 (Attempt to murder) of the IPC and other serious charges.
“It is highly unlikely that doctors, lawyers and women would indulge in violence,” he stated.
Pawar also attached a list of people who he said were falsely implicated by police under serious charges.
The former Union minister demanded an enquiry into the charges to ensure that innocent people are not harassed.
“I expect that you will withdraw cases against innocent persons,” Pawar said addressing the Chief Minister.