Union Minister of State for Culture Mahesh Sharma on Thursday assured people that there is no danger to the structure of Taj Mahal.
Talking to media, Mahesh said that the government would submit an affidavit in this regard in the Supreme Court.
“I want to assure everyone that there is no danger to the Taj Mahal’s structure and there has been no change in its original colour. We will submit an affidavit in this regard in the Supreme Court,” he said.
Sharma’s remarks come a day after the Supreme Court rapped the Centre and the Uttar Pradesh Government over the protection of the Taj Mahal and said, “either we will shut down the Taj or you demolish or restore it.”
The apex court had come down heavily on the Centre and state over deteriorating condition of the historical monument.
“You preserve it, or else we will close it or destroy it,” the Supreme Court bench, headed by Justice Madan Bhimrao Lokur, observed.
The Supreme Court bench of justices Madan B. Lokur and Deepak Gupta made the statement while hearing the verdict.
Earlier in May, the top court pulled up the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) for not taking care of the Taj Mahal.
In February and March this year, the apex court had also issued notices to the Uttar Pradesh government and the Centre to submit a draft vision document on how they wish to protect the Taj Mahal.
The apex court was hearing a plea filed by environmentalist M.C. Mehta, seeking protection of the historical monument. The court has also ordered demolition of a multi-level car parking facility near the Taj.
The court had already asked Taj Trapezium Zone (TTZ) authority to come up with a comprehensive action plan to protect the 17th century-built Mughal mausoleum.