Friday, September 24, 2021
HomeNationHC declines to extend interim bail granted to Suhaib Ilyasi

HC declines to extend interim bail granted to Suhaib Ilyasi

The Delhi High Court declined to further extend the four-week interim bail granted to former TV anchor and producer Suhaib Ilyasi, serving life term for killing his wife 18 years ago, to take care of his ailing second spouse.

A bench of Justices S Muralidhar and I S Mehta declined to grant the relief, which was orally sought by Ilyasi’s lawyers after the court adjourned the hearing of his appeal against his conviction and sentence, to July 4.

“No. There will be no further extension. This is why we wanted to commence arguments today,” it said. Ilyasi was granted bail on April 26.

Ilyasi’s wife Anju was rushed to a hospital on January 11, 2000 with stab wounds she received at her East Delhi residence. She was declared dead on arrival at the hospital.

Ilyasi, who had shot into limelight for hosting the TV crime show ‘India’s Most Wanted’, was arrested on March 28, 2000. Charges were framed against him in the case after his sister-in-law and mother-in-law alleged that he used to torture his wife for dowry.

While deferring hearing in the matter, the court also frowned upon the conduct of the victim’s mother for writing a letter to the bench asking one of the judges to recuse from the matter.

The bench observed that the content of the letter was prima facie in contempt of court, but decided not to take any action for now after the woman’s lawyer assured that he would advise his client to withdraw the communication.

The woman’s lawyer said the letter was written as she was anguished that Ilyasi had been granted bail for four weeks and his sentence suspended during this period.

Most Popular

- Advertisment -[the_ad id="220709"]