Unleashing the market with telecom disruptor ‘Jio’, Reliance Industries chief Mukesh Ambani has announced free voice calls and zero roaming charges for its customers with an aim to cover 18,000 cities and towns, and over two lakh villages.
“By March 2017, we will cover 90 percent of India’s population. It will be largest 4GE network today,” said Ambani.
“Today, I set a target for Team Jio to acquire 100 million customers for the Jio network in the shortest possible time and set a record,” he added while announcing the company’s big switch from oil to mobile at its 42nd annual general meeting.
Data tariff plans will begin from Rs 149 for 0.3 GB to Rs 4,999 for 75 GB. All data plans, except for the 0.3 GB plan, will also provide unlimited 4G data at night.
“These are the simplest and the most attractive tariff plans in the market, with the lowest data rates anywhere in the world,” Ambani said.
He also urged to the incumbent players to offer enough points of interconnect ports, which facilitate the calls between two operators.
The issue of interconnect ports has been a bone of contention between Jio as its preview customers have reportedly had troubles making calls to other telecom users.
Ambani listed out Jio’s road map, saying it was based on 10 points. “It has the best quality broadband network, affordable 4G devices, compelling content, superior service and affordable tariff.
This is what a Jio customer will get:
1) Starting Monday, September 5, Jio’s bouquet of apps, all services available for everyone absolutely free. Till 31 December 2016.
2) Jio has created an all-IP network. There is only one language spoken on the Jio network. We will have a single digital mother tongue. The all-IP design also makes Jio’s network the most expansive and future-proof network in the country. Jio is a data strong network built for the Internet from the ground up. By March 2017, we will cover 90 per cent of India’s population. It is the first mobile network that is only 4G LTE.
3) The JioFi router has been launched at just Rs. 1,999.
4) New Lyf devices starting at Rs. 2,999.
5) The on boarding process will now be 100 per cent digital, using Aadhaar based e-KYC, starting today from Mumbai and Delhi. With instant e-KYC, customers will be able to walk out with an operational connection within 15 minutes.
6) 1 million wifi hotspots across India.
7) 25% extra data for students holding a valid id card.
5) More than 70% of all devices sold in India support 4G LTE. And that soon that will be 100 percent.
6) 2.8 million songs, 6000 movies and thousands of magazines and newspapers to be added for Jio customers.
7) Reliance launched Jio Money for customers to go cashless with the help of this digital wallet.
8) There will be no blackout dates for Jio customers. No extra charges for festive days. Customers can access their bill at real-time after every transaction.