Hillary Clinton, on the cusp of a possible White House bid, says in an interview that she has “moved on” from the Monica Lewinsky sex scandal that consumed the last two years of her husband’s presidency.
Hillary spoke to People Magazine, which made her its cover story in editions to hit newsstands on Friday.
In excerpts of the wide-ranging interview released on Wednesday, the former secretary of state brushed aside any discussion of the former White House intern, whose escapades with then-President Bill Clinton helped lead to his impeachment.
“I’m not going to comment on what did and didn’t happen. I think everybody needs to look to the future,” Hillary told People, adding “I’ve moved on”.
Lewinsky, 40, for her part told Vanity Fair magazine in an article published last month that she too is ready to put behind her the scandal that has dominated her life.
The affair came to light in the fall of 1998, nearly crashing the Clinton presidency and leading to his impeachment by the US House of Representatives.
The former first lady suggested to People that at this point, the scandal is water under the bridge. “I want to live in the moment,” she told the magazine.
The interview with the popular gossip magazine comes out just days ahead of next week’s release of her latest memoir, “Hard Choices”.
Hillary, 66, who lost to President Barack Obama in their 2008 battle for the Democratic presidential nomination, is mulling a second White House run, and her upcoming book tour — following the memoir’s June 10 release — is widely seen as a way to lay the groundwork for a 2016 campaign.
As has been her style, Hillary spoke opaquely about her future political plans, careful not to rule out, or rule in, a future presidential bid.