Sunday, September 26, 2021
HomeWorldPak, China discuss situation after Trump's move to reduce troops in Afghanistan

Pak, China discuss situation after Trump’s move to reduce troops in Afghanistan

Pakistan Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi met his Chinese counterpart Tuesday and discussed the situation arising out of the US decision to pull nearly 7,000 troops from Afghanistan and resurgence of the Taliban in the war-torn country.

Qureshi, who is on a three-day four-nation tour, arrived here Tuesday morning following his visit to Afghanistan and Iran on Monday.

China’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying told a media briefing here that Qureshi met Chinese State Councillor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi and discussed the latest situation in Afghanistan.

Both sides reiterated their determination to adopt a joint course of action for regional peace and stability, to promote connectivity and work for Afghan-led and Afghan-owned peace process.

In a sudden move, President Donald Trump last week announced his decision to pull around half of the 14,000 US troops stationed in Afghanistan. The move has stunned and dismayed allies, diplomats and officials in Kabul. The announcement comes during a renewed push for talks with the Taliban to end the 17-year war.

“They both believed that the military means cannot resolve the problem. The political reconciliation is the only viable way out.

“Various parties are willing to maintain close communication and strategic coordination in this regard. The two sides will also advance our all-weather partnership and improve our all dimensional partnership and cooperation,” Hua said.

Trump’s decision to drastically reduce the troops was welcomed by the Taliban.

Asked how China viewed the US’ decision to reduce its troops strength, Hua said “the action to pull-out should be decided by the US itself.”

Most Popular

- Advertisment -[the_ad id="220709"]