Saturday, July 24, 2021
HomeNationRape by 2 men is not a gangrape, says Karnataka HM K...

Rape by 2 men is not a gangrape, says Karnataka HM K J George, NCW issues notice, apologizes later;

Karnataka Home Minister K J George has stoked a controversy with remarks suggesting that two men raping a woman cannot be termed as gangrape, drawing severe flak from parties and activists while the National Commission for Women issued a notice to him seeking an explanation.

However, the minister later apologised for his callous remarks. “I was quoted out of context. Rape or gang rape, it is condemnable. The question was German chancellor was here in India, does this incident affect the image of India. I told, no, public think like that, only a group of people is gangrape. Our police has done a good job, we have made the arrests and booked them under gang rape laws even before this controversy. We will ensure a speedy trial and make sure the guilty are punished”, the minister said.

He made the controversial statement when the media asked him about the rape of a BPO employee earlier this week. The 22 year old girl was gang raped by the driver & helper of the tempo traveller. The incident took place last Saturday in South East Bengaluru when the girl was returning from work around 10 pm. George is not the first law maker to make an insensitive comment about crimes against women. In August, Mulayam Singh Yadav had claimed its not possible for 4 men to rape a woman.

Former Karnataka CM Jagdish Shettar hit out at the minister. He said, “The Home Minister’s statement is utterly irresponsible. He is incapable to be the HM. The government has failed to protect the women and other people of the state. There is no fear among the people because of this administration.”

Most Popular

- Advertisment -