Underworld don Chhota Rajan, who was arrested in the Indonesian town of Bali last month, will soon be brought to the city, Mumbai Police Commissioner Javed Ahmed said.
“Rajan will be brought to Mumbai soon. The murder of Jyotirmoy Dey alias J Dey will be given priority after Rajan is brought to the city,” Ahmed told reporters at the launch of a mobile application for the safety of women journalists in the city.
The gangster’s interrogation would also reveal answers to few unanswered questions, the Police Commissioner said.
J Dey, a journalist with a local tabloid, was shot dead by motorcycle-borne sharpshooters on June 11, 2011. He had done many reports on underworld dons Dawood Ibrahim and Chhota Rajan.
The 55-year-old underworld don was arrested in the popular tourist town of Bali on his arrival from Australia on October 25, on the basis of a Red Corner Notice from Interpol and following a tip off by Australian authorities to the police in Indonesia.
Mumbai Police has nearly 70 cases registered against Rajan, including 20 of murder, four cases under the Terrorist and Disruptive Activities (Prevention) Act, one under Prevention of Terrorism Act and over 20 cases under the stringent Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act.
Delhi Police has six cases registered against Rajan, who was a close aide of fugitive underworld don Dawood Ibrahim at one point, but split before the 1993 Mumbai blasts were conspired.
Meanwhile, talking about the app, Ahmed said, “Security of women and safety of senior citizens will be the priority of the police.”
Mumbai Press Club and Zicom Electronic Security Systems have join hands to make women journalists safe by offering a ‘Personal Security Guard’ called ‘Ziman’.