The death toll from two bomb blasts in the Syrian city of Homs on Sunday reached 46 including at least 28 civilians, the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
The Observatory said the attacks, which hit the city’s central Zahra district, were among the biggest blasts to hit a government-held area in Homs in the five-year-old civil war. The governor of Homs was quoted by Syrian state television as saying the death toll was 25 people. State TV initially said 14 had been killed.
Footage has been shown locally of the damaged shop fronts, debris littering the streets, wounded people and charred or burning cars.
Footage on Syrian television showed firefighters running through debris strewn by the explosions as security forces and civilians tried to prise open wreckage of one vehicle to retrieve a person inside.
There are fears that the death toll could rise further due to the high number of people seriously wounded in the attacks.
A bomb attack claimed by ISIS last month in Homs in the west of the country killed at least 24 people.