Sunday, September 19, 2021
HomeCity NewsFire at ‘Make in India’ event: report blames organizer

Fire at ‘Make in India’ event: report blames organizer

The Mumbai fire department on Wednesday said the massive fire which played spoilsport at a Make in India Week event in Mumbai on 14 February was caused by defective electric circuit.

Fire at Make in India-AV

The fire department said the event organizer, Wizcraft, kept liquified petroleum gas (LPG) cylinders under the stage, despite instructions against it.

“LPG cylinders were brought in for creating an image of Lord Ganesha with flames. The Mumbai fire brigade in its no-objection certificate dated 11 February clearly mentioned LPG cylinders are not to be used,” the department said in a report submitted to the Maharashtra government on Wednesday.

Despite this, cylinders were stored under the stage and when the fire started they exploded, the 185-page report said.

“The likely cause of fire is… defective electric circuit (spark from the electric wiring came in contact with combustible material underneath the stage) contributed by negligence of organizers/event management company by storing highly combustible material below the stage,” it added.

There were repeated directions to Wizcraft to follow the safety instructions given in writing, it said. “This act of the organizer, Wizcraft International Entertainment, shows willful negligence/willful flouting of the fire safety instructions,” said the report.

The fire department said if investigating agencies come across some (different) evidence, then the “supposed cause” of the blaze can be reviewed.

A massive fire broke out during “Maharashtra Night”, a cultural event, at Girgaum Chowpaty on 14 February during the Make in India Week. Chief minister Devendra Fadnavis was present at the time. The fire caused a damage of Rs.5 crore. No one was injured.

Most Popular

- Advertisment -[the_ad id="220709"]