Malaysian Police on Tuesday released the photographs of two suspect passengers who were travelling on the ill-fated flight that disappeared over South China Sea three days ago.
One of them has been identified as a 19 year old Iranian named Pouria Nour Mohammad Mehrdad, who was migrating to Germany where his mother was due to receive him at Frankfurt, said the police.
The teenager Iranian was “not likely to be a member of a terrorist group”, said Malaysia’s police chief Inspector Gen Khalid Abu Bakar.
Another suspect passenger’s identity was yet not clear.
The Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 mystery remains unsettled even as the frantic multi-nation hunt for the missing jet entered its fourth day on Tuesday.
Meanwhile, the mystery over what might have happened to the Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 took an eerie turn when reports surfaced saying that the cellphones of the passengers on the missing plane were ringing, but went unanswered.
Chinese media have gone into tizzy after the reports that the concerned families of the missing passengers managed to connect the calls successfully, but no one picked the call.
In an astonishing live video on state television, a relative was shown dialing up the number of one of the passengers on the flight, and the phone was heard ringing, reported the Mirror.
Investigators are still clueless on what went wrong with the Boeing 777 jet even as Malaysia Airlines issued a statement saying that the plane had undergone maintenance checks just 12 days before Saturday and nothing was wrong with the health of the aircraft.
The hunt for the jet has been widened to focus mainly on the Western coast of the country near Malacca Straits.
Also, China has deployed 10 satellites to assist in the search operations.
China’s People’s Liberation Army Daily in an article, stated that 10 satellites will use “high-resolution earth imaging capabilities, visible light imaging, etc” to scour the sea and air to locate the traces of the missing Boeing 777.
Earlier, China prodded Malaysia to “step up the efforts” in order to get clues about the missing aircraft that went missing on Saturday morning over the South China Sea.
Out of 239 people on board, over two-third were Chinese.
The Beijing-bound Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 with 239 people on-board disappeared on Saturday between Malaysia and Vietnam after it lost contact with the ground controllers at 1:30 am on that fateful day.
As days pass, the search mission continues to get desperate with 10 nations taking part in the search and rescue operations.
Also, 40 ships and 34 aircraft are involved in the hunt, which has so far produced no hints of any clues.
Earlier reports from Vietnam about spotting wreckage (jet’s door and life raft) have turned out to be false.
Also, the oil slicks discovered off Vietnam coast were reported to have no link to the disappeared plane.
Meanwhile, the Malaysian Airlines in a statement said that the search for the jet has been now widened beyond the flight path. “The focus now is on the West Peninsular of Malaysia at the Straits of Malacca,” said the Airlines.
The statement added that everything was fine with the B777-200 aircraft that had undergone maintenance on 23 February 2014, just 12 days before the flight to Beijing.
“The maintenance was conducted at the KLIA hangar and there were no issues on the health of the aircraft,” read the Malaysia Airlines statement.
The aircraft was delivered to Malaysia Airlines in 2002 and have since clocked 53,465.21 hours with a total of 7525 cycles.