The Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) on Thursday denied sending any list of Olympic probables, sans Sushil Kumar, to the Indian Olympic Association, insisting that the two-time medallist is not yet out of contention for the Rio Games.
WFI clarified that it has been a regular practice for the United World Wrestling to send the list of all those who have secured berths in their respective weight categories at various Olympic qualifying tournaments to IOA.
Emphasising that the probables list not having Sushil’s name does not mean he would not go to Rio, WHI said that president Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh will take a decision on holding the trials.
“This list of probables is not sent by WFI but by the United World Wrestling. After all the trials are over, the world body compiles the names of all those wrestlers who have secured Olympic berths for their country in various divisions at different qualifying tournaments and send it to their respective Olympic Federations,” WFI assistant secretary Vinod Tomar said.
The official remained not committal over whether Sushil or Narsingh Yadav will represent India at the Olympics in men’s 74kg freestyle category, reiterating that the decision to hold the trials is yet to be taken.
“No decision is yet being taken, WFI president is going to take the decision on whether and when to hold the trails. So question on whether Sushil is not going does not arise,” said Tomar.
Narsingh had secured the Olympic quota place for India last year at the World Championship in Las Vegas after winning a bronze medal in 74kg category. Since then the Maharashtra grappler has been staking his claim for the berth, while former world champion Sushil has been asking for trials.
Sushil had won a bronze medal at 2008 Beijing Olympics and a silver at the London Games four year later in men’s 66kg freestyle. Since the weight divisions were rejigged by the world body, Sushil has moved up a division to 74kg.