In a major trouble for Nitesh Rane, son of state Industries Minister Narayan Rane, a local magistrate court on Tuesday rejected for the second time a closure report filed by the CBI in an attempt to murder case registered against him.
The court had earlier rejected the closure report in August 2013.
Nitesh had allegedly shot and injured Chintu Shaikh, a member of his NGO ‘Swabhiman Sanghatna’ in 2010.
“The Magistrate court has rejected the closure report filed by CBI,” confirmed a CBI spokesperson.
Nitesh’s lawyer Parvez Memon told that the court gave two major reasons for rejecting the report.
“The court said that it cannot accept the report as it had rejected it earlier and secondly the matter is pending before the Bombay high court,” Memon said.
Shaikh had filed a complaint with Powai police on September 23, 2010 alleging that Nitesh, who was upset that day for some reason, had shot at him twice at Sanghatna’s Khar office. Shaikh had alleged that a bullet grazed his cheek, causing an injury.
An FIR under section 307 (attempt to murder) and various other sections of the Indian Penal Code was registered against Nitesh by CBI after the Bombay high court transferred the probe into the case to CBI in March 2011 after observing that there were inexplicable circumstances which created doubts about the manner of probe (by local police).
The CBI filed a closure report in March 2012 before the magistrate’s court stating that there was no evidence or eyewitnesses to prove the case against Nitesh.
However, Shaikh challenged this report and in August 2013 the magistrate court rejected the closure report and asked the agency to re-investigate the case.
The CBI last month had informed the Bombay High court that it was going to file a closure report in the case.
The agency filed the report on May 20 which was rejected today.