CPI leader Pansare regains consciousness, condition improving


Veteran CPI leader Govind Pansare, who was shot at by unidentified assailants in Kolhapur, regained consciousness on Tuesday and his condition is improving, doctors said even as police are searching for clues to track down the culprits.

“Pansare’s condition is stable. He is conscious and recognises people around him and that is a good sign, his condition is improving slowly and steadily but we will keep him on ventilator for now,” said Aster Aadhar Hospital’s Medical Director and Chief Medical Officer Ulhas Damle.

A nine-member team of doctors had performed surgery on Mr. Pansare on Monday that lasted eight hours to remove a bullet lodged in his chest after he was shot in the armpit and check bleeding from an injury on the neck, Dr. Damle said, adding he was now convalescing in the ICU.

READ  Maha to hire PR officers for 30 departments, Oppn slams move

The condition of his wife Uma, who also received bullet injuries in the attack is improving as well.

“Uma Pansare is also much better now. She is also conscious. As a precaution we are treating her in ICU,” Dr. Damle said.

Meanwhile, Additional Superintendent of Police, Kolhapur, Ankit Goyal said 20 teams have been formed to probe the case and apprehend the perpetrators.

“We are investigating the matter from all possible angles. We are yet to get a concrete clue in the case,” Mr. Goyal, who is supervising efforts to track down the culprits said.

Police have also recorded the statement of Ms. Uma Pansare.

READ  Farmer death: NCP accuses minister Rawal of dubious land

Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis spoke to state Medical Education Secretary Medha Gadgil and asked her to ensure best possible treatment to the Pansares.

“Also asked to use services of doctors known for their expertise & if required use air ambulance to bring them to Mumbai for treatment,” Mr. Fadnavis tweeted.

Meanwhile, Left party workers and activists from other allied organisations gathered at Bindu Chowk in Kolhapur on Tuesday to protest the attack and demanded immediate arrest of the culprits.