International Cricket Council chief executive David Richardson has welcomed England’s decision to go ahead with their tour of Bangladesh, saying it was important to have the global game “played safely” in as many countries as possible.
Richardson, in a statement issued from the world governing body’s Dubai headquarters on Saturday, added that following England’s decision the ICC would make its own security arrangements to ensure the safety of their match officials.
The future of the tour was called into question after an attack on a Dhaka cafe last month saw 20 — mostly foreign — hostages killed, with the Islamic State group claiming responsibility.
However, the England and Wales Cricket Board said Thursday the tour, which includes two Test and three one-day international matches in October, would go ahead as planned.
The confirmation followed a visit to Bangladesh by an ECB delegation, led by their long-serving security chief Reg Dickason.
The Australian briefed the England players on Thursday about the situation in Dhaka and the port city of Chittagong — the venues for the tour.
“It is important to the global game of cricket that it can be played safely in as many countries as possible,” said Richardson.
“The world in which we live means we all face threats wherever we are in the world.
“Where those threats are considered higher, cricket, like other sports, undertakes extensive security assessments in determining whether or not matches can go ahead.
“Under the expert guidance of Reg Dickason, England have concluded that it is safe to tour Bangladesh.”
Former South Africa wicketkeeper Richardson added: “We welcome this decision understanding the extent of the intelligence behind it where the safety of players and staff is of utmost importance. Earlier this year, we held the ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup in Bangladesh with great success.”