A sting operation by Cobrapost has claimed that the demolition of Babri Masjid was not a spontaneous act by Kar Sevaks in frenzy but was planned well in advance with top leaders of the BJP, Shiv Sena, the larger Sangh Parivar and some Congress leaders in the know.
Cobrapost claimed that the sting was carried out by a reporter who travelled across the country posing as the author of the Ayodhya movement and interviewed 23 persons who played a key role in the movement. The sting said ‘Operation Janambhoomi’ was planned in great detail to demolish the Babri mosque on 6 December 1992.
Uma Bharti, Vinay Katiyar, Kalyan Singh, Champat Rai, Sadhavi Ritambhara, Jai Bhagwan Goel, Mahant Avaidyanath are among those who were interviewed.
The BJP has cried foul over the sting operation and questioned its timing as the first phase of voting in Lok Sabha polls is due in two days.
The party said that the sting operation is a sponsored one aimed and vitiating the poll atmosphere in the country.
Party leader Mukhtar Abbaz Naqvi alleged that the sting was a Congress conspiracy to vitiate the atmosphere ahead of the polls. The BJP has approached the Election Commission over the issue and has demanded that the broadcast of the Cobrapost sting be stopped.
The sting claimed:
• The Babri demolition conspiracy was hatched by Vishwa Hindu Parishad and Shiv Sena separately
• These two organisations had trained their cadre much before the demolition on December 6
• The RSS had formed a formed a suicide squad ‘balidani dasta’
• Cadre of the Bajrang Dal, the youth wing of the VHP, had carried out training exercise in Sarkhej in Gujarat while Sena men trained in Bind-Morena in MP
• Bajrang Dal had formed ‘Laxman Sena’, trained by former military officers, to deliberately bring down the masjid
• Laxman Sena was trained in the use of grappling hooks and petrol bombs and they had carried dynamite sticks as a back-up plan
• Both Balasaheb Thackeray and Raj Thackeray kept a close tab on the movement. Shiv Sena had its secret parleys in Delhi in November 1992
• Kalyan Singh, then CM of Uttar Pradesh, had a foreknowledge of what was going to happen
• Former Prime Minister PV Narasimha Rao was also in the know of the plot
• The first attempt on Babri was foiled by the police and resulted in killing of Kar Sevaks. There were two determined efforts on Babri – first in 1990 and then in 1992.